SVBR-type reactor plants
The world community shows more and more interest in nuclear power considering it as one of the main sources to ensure sustainable development of mankind under the conditions of fast growing energy consumption, gradual depletion of irreplaceable energy sources and environmental pollution.
A search for advanced reactor technologies of the XXI century is under way all over the world. Thus, 6 innovative reactor systems that comprise systems cooled by lead melts including lead-bismuth eutectic alloy have been recognized as very promising ones by the participants of Generation IV Forum.
Russia offers an advantage of unique experience in designing and operation of lead-bismuth cooled reactor plants for nuclear submarines.
On the basis of lead-bismuth reactor technology OKB “GIDROPRESS”, SSC RF IPPE and Atomenergoproekt are developing small-power SVBR-type reactors (SVBR stands for the Russian acronym of lead-bismuth fast reactor) to create nuclear power sources in the power range from 6 MW (e) to 100-400 MW (e), depending on the requirements of the Customer.
SVBR-type reactor plants are characterized by:
- A high level of inherent and passive safety and essential design simplification of the reactor plant and NPP as a whole in comparison with conventional nuclear technologies
- Capability to use different types of fuel and large fuel cycles (not less than 7 years)
- Fulfillment of non-proliferation requirements
- Conservative approach to designing and orientation to the current technological environment and structural materials
- Compactness of the reactor plant and minimum assembly work required
- Possibility of designing the serial NPPs of different power and purpose as well as in-line approach to construction-and-erection work
- Competitiveness in the energy market and investment attractiveness of the NPP with a high potential of further improvement of performance characteristics