MIR - 1200
The design of Modernized International Reactor with enhanced capacity of 1200MW (MIR-1200) is based on the Russian pressurized water reactor technology and long-term experience in designing, construction and operation of WWER-440 and WWER-1000 NPP.
НThe integrity of MIR-1200 design is grounded on the following evolutionary technologies:
- optimized safety system configuration with active and passive elements on the diversity principle (four safety trains);
- digital Instrumentation & Control system;
- increased turbine plant efficiency;
- higher fuel utilization.
High performance of MIR-1200 is achieved due to the following advantages:
- finalized design in full compliance with European rules and standards (the design integrates NPP life cycle management with equipment data base, 3D CAD, schedules, etc.);
- construction and schedule management enabling 54 month onsite works from the first concrete till the start-up;
- life cycle up to 60 years;
- serial and experience-proved equipment integration;
- maintenance outages – up to 18 days;
- overall repairs – once in 8-10 years and replacement of equipment according to its actual condition;
- possibility for plant operation under load following conditions.
Environmental considerations were of paramount importance during MIR-1200 design development and particular projects’ implementation process. The external costs of coal and oil power plants (assessed according to the methodology of ExternE project carried out by the European Commission) are some ten times higher than for a NPP. MIR‑1200 top priority is to contribute to the global greening, to minimize nuclear power externalities, and to establish base for environmentally friendly energy-mix development.